Tuesday, May 26, 2009

True Story

I was buying groceries at Wal-Mart yesterday and as my cashier was ringing up several jars of baby food and some formula, she looked at me with a confused look on her face and asked, "You have to buy baby milk?" I wish I could convey the way she asked this question, but just suffice it to say, she was intrigued that I was purchasing formula for my child.

I respond, "Uh, yeah, why do you ask that?" She says, "I just figured you were on some government assistance or something." Feeling a little irritated, but also amused and baffled all at once, I ask her why she thought that. (I mean, I was wearing my t-shirt and ponytail look, but did I really look like I should be on welfare?)

She went on to say, "I just thought everyone who had a baby got WIC." At this point, I'm blown away that we are still having this conversation while she's ringing up my groceries. I had to inform this 17-year-old Wal-Mart associate that no, in fact, everyone with children does not get free "baby milk." If only that were the case, I would have so much more money to buy dresses and headbands for Amelia. She must be new, because seriously, was I really the first person she's seen in her line purchasing formula?

I won't get into my gripe about people who abuse the system, but what I really wanted to tell this young girl (who later told me she has 2 kids) that some people are actually married when they choose to have a child, have jobs, and then use the money that they earn from their jobs to purchase food and supplies for caring for that child. What a concept!

And just because no post is complete without a Mimi pic, here's evidence that someone enjoys her expensive "baby milk."

1 comment:

lindey said...

i am seriously dying over your post.
my
oh
my.
(shaking head from side to side)