Monday, March 23, 2009

Our little philanthropist

If you read my blog, you know that at almost 5 months old, Amelia's favorite hobbies include eating, pooping, smiling at Mama and Daddy (but not for photos) and dressing up and wearing bows. But I bet you didn't know that our little princess is also very charitable.


That's why when her daycare told her about their Trike-a-Thon for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, she just insisted that I help her participate. Here she is insisting.




Ok, I'm totally kidding of course. I always contribute to this charity because my friends and co-workers have had children in the daycare who participate in this event. But this year I am excited to help Amelia raise money for such a wonderful cause. I'm so thankful that we haven't needed a place like St. Jude yet in her short little life. But for the families who do, I want to do all we can to help.
If you don't know about St. Jude and what they're about, in a nutshell, they basically treat sick children and conduct research to find cures for children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases. The coolest thing about St. Jude is that they're the only pediatric cancer research center where families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance. No child is ever denied treatment because of the family's inability to pay.


That's why they need our help. On April 3rd, Amelia and her classmates will be participating in a Trike-a-Thon. They'll trike (or be pushed in strollers) around the track on the football field. Instead of donating per lap, they have asked that we collect flat donations. If you're local, I'll be happy to come pick up your donation (and maybe bring Amelia to see you- can you say bribe?), or if you're out-of-town, let me know that you're willing to give, and I'll send you a self-adressed stamped envelope to send your donation to us. Anything you have to give will be appreciated!


I am excited that we have this opportunity to teach Amelia to give to those less fortunate than ourselves. This blog is essentially my scrapbook of her life, so I look forward to sharing with her how she helped to raise money for sick kids even as a baby. Thanks in advance for your help with this worthy cause!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet. My niece is so generous to raise money for other children.
Mary Beth

Unknown said...

love, love, love, love that photo, angela! she's like selling it, totally :o)
how could anyone in their right mind refuse that little smiling face?! if you'll text me your address i'd be honored to contribute!