Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pampers and a People magazine

Last night I did two things I haven't done since Amelia was born. I bought a pack of diapers, and I got to read a People magazine from cover to cover.

First the diapers. How awesome is it that Amelia is 4 months old and this is the first pack of diapers I've had to purchase? We were SO blessed to receive so many diapers at our showers. I actually have 2 packs left and some leftover from a diaper cake, but they are in a bigger size than we need right now, so I finally purchased my first pack. Those things aren't cheap!

We were out of everything around the house, and I had been putting off the needed Wal-Mart run, in hopes that Cliff would be home and could watch Amelia while I went. Or better yet, he could go for me. Yeah, right. He hates going even more than I do. Our boys are out of the tournament, but the girls keep winning, so that means basketball is not over yet for Coach Furr. Thus, I had to do the Wal-Mart thing after work yesterday.

You never know what you're going to get with Amelia when I pick her up at 4:30. Sometimes she is tired and falls asleep on the way home. But more often than not, she is ill and refuses to sleep on the way home, and chooses to scream for the 15 minute drive. I was not looking forward to Wal-Mart, but I had no choice. It wasn't just about my Diet Dr. Pepper; We needed diapers. So I went for it, and my baby was a perfect angel! She fell asleep right before we got there and woke up while I was shopping, but was just sweet and happy the whole time. She fell asleep again as I was checking out, and stayed asleep long enough for me to get home, unload and put most of it away.

She woke up for a bottle and some fussy mama-cuddling, and finally went to back to bed at 8 and stayed asleep. Oh happy day. Don't get me wrong. Amelia sleeps well. She sleeps all night most of the time, but her bedtime is often the same time as mine. Which means no down time for Mama. Now, you won't ever hear me complaining about a lack of rest. As I've mentioned on numerous occasions, I am so thankful for Amelia, and I know I'm lucky that she is a good sleeper. But her late bedtimes have prevented me from my much needed me-time, which used to consist of tub-soaking with a magazine and maybe some toenail painting.

We've been working on getting her to bed earlier, and it has gotten a lot better, but I keep finding other things I need to get done before my own bedtime. But last night when I saw that she was in a good REM state of sleep, I turned on the greatest shower gift of all time and engaged in a fabulous hour-long bath and some celebrity gossip current events.

So, to sum up- a successful trip to Wal-Mart and an hour of relaxation = wonderful day.

No comments: